Monday 16 August 2010

BEDA - Aug16 - So many nerds, so little time

It won’t have escaped your notice, but I’m a total nerd. This afternoon I spent 2hours queueing around the block to meet Bryan Lee O’Malley, creator of the Scott Pilgrim graphic novels at the local independent comic store in Notts: Page 45.

I can’t say I realised just how many nerds there were around here, so I didn’t expect a huge line, so turned up like 10minutes before the signing was due to commence. Big mistake. The queue was literally like 100’s of people long already, and that’s why it took me so long to get in.

Bryan was lovely, and seemed genuinely delighted that so many people had turned up. He’d been at Page 45 once before, back in 2006 when almost noone knew of Scott Pilgrim, and the crowd had been exceptionally small, and had returned because he was so impressed with the place (and this time the crowd was deservedly bigger =D) He only had time to sign one item per person by the time it got as far back in the queue as us, but that was fine, it was just nice of him to keep going long beyond his official finish time.

In the line I met a guy with a Jay and Jack tshirt, as well as all sorts of other awesome people, thankfully reminding me that I’m not the only person in the surrounding area who thinks it’s cool to be a nerd.

I must say: I’ll be frequenting Page 45 more often, as the staff there were awesome, and worked so hard to keep the people in line happy as the time passed – kudos to them J

And now, with a signed copy of Scott Pilgrim’s Precious Little Life in my possession, I’m totally ready to see the advanced screening of SPvtW tomorrow night. EXCIIIIITED!!!!


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a fun day, oh and never underestimate the nerds, they time up everywhere..
    :)

    ReplyDelete